We have once again launched the call for applications for the Yale Ciencia Academy (YCA) for Professional Development, an NIH-funded (1R25GM114000) that, as you know, connects doctoral students in biological, biomedical or behavioral research, with a network of diverse mentors, professional contacts, and role models who can help expand their opportunities for mentoring, peer support, networking, outreach, and professional growth and advancement.
We would appreciate your help spreading the word about the YCA by forwarding this email and our flyer (linked here) to your contacts. We are particularly interested in sharing this opportunity with graduate students from underrepresented backgrounds. You can also find sample messages to share on your social media channels here.
The application period closes November 2, 2018, and the program runs from January to December 2019.
Key features of the program include:
- Virtual chats with diverse role models and mentors who will discuss topics such as careers within and outside of academia, getting funded, securing a postdoc, getting published, and work-life balance.
- Online video discussions between program fellows to facilitate networking, peer mentoring, and community building.
- Workshops for the development of skills related to mentoring, networking, professional goal setting, scientific teaching, and science communication.
- Participants will have the opportunity to impact their communities and put in place leadership and communication skills through science outreach activities like the publication of popular science articles, podcasts, or visits to local schools.
- An annual face-to-face meeting (with travel, lodging and registration expenses paid) to take place during the 2019 AAAS Meeting to extend opportunities for networking and professional development.
Additional information about the program, eligibility guidelines, and the application can be found at: www.cienciapr.org/yca.
Thank you in advance for your help!
PI, Yale Ciencia Academy