An Assistant Director within the Center for Faculty Innovation (CFI) advocates for excellence in teaching, scholarship, service, and leadership by supporting faculty development through a lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Assistant Directors lead areas within the CFI focused on teaching, career planning, and scholarship that meet the goals of the CFI and Academic Affairs strategic plan. Specifically, this position is classified as a Visiting Professor and will lead the Scholarship Area. The appointment will be for one year with an option to renew for a second year.
The Assistant Director serves at the discretion of the Vice Provost for Faculty, Curriculum, and Policy (VPFCP); reports directly to the Executive Director of the CFI; and participates as a member of the CFI leadership team along with the other assistant directors. Assistant Directors also teach and have scholarship responsibilities within an academic department consistent with their discipline. Both scholarship and teaching will be evaluated within this department annually.
• Consult with faculty on scholarly productivity
• Become an active educational development scholar
• Stay abreast of current trends and relevant literature related to the area
• Maintain discipline-specific scholarship production
• Create and facilitate faculty support/development opportunities for the area
• Provide 1:1 and unit-level consultations related to the area
• Lead and mentor a team of 2-4 faculty associates
• Co-create and quality-control CFI documents (e.g., the weekly digest, blueprints, etc.)
• Contribute to the vision and future direction of the center
• Participate in regular operations and leadership team meetings and processes
• Serve as the voice of CFI and advocate for faculty on committees across JMU
• Collaborate with other faculty and staff across campus who support faculty learning (e.g., Libraries, CS-L, JMU Civic, The Learning Centers, CARS)
• Network across JMU and with staff at other centers doing similar work
• Participate in center-level annual reporting and programmatic evaluation
• Explore opportunities to teach within in the Assistant Director’s academic discipline, in consultation with the respective department
• Identify and apply for grants that will support the mission of the CFI
Characteristics of the successful applicant will include:
• An earned doctorate in an academic discipline.
• Ability to work collaboratively and independently with diverse constituencies on varied tasks, programs and initiatives.
• Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, outcome assessment, and the ability to engage faculty across disciplines.
• Evidence of scholarly accomplishment and capacity to author research on teaching and learning in higher education.
• Excellent consultation and presentation skills.
• Effective organizational, interpersonal, and managerial skills.
• The ability to represent and communicate on behalf of the CFI and its mission.
To learn more and to apply, visit http://joblink.jmu.edu and reference posting number F1861, or go directly to James Madison University Jobs | Assistant Director - Center of Faculty Innovation. Review of applications will begin 5/23/2022. Position is open until filled. Salary is commensurate with experience.