Assistant Director, Faculty Programs and Services
Center for Teaching and Learning, Columbia University in the City of New York
Columbia’s Center for Teaching and Learning is accepting applications for an Assistant Director position in its Faculty Programs and Services group. Reporting to an Associate Director of Faculty Programs and Services, the Assistant Director will support the professional development of faculty, postdoctoral, adjunct, and other instructors and provide them with pedagogical programs, consultations and resources to advance teaching and learning at Columbia.
The Assistant Director will:
- Establish working relationships with these populations through the design and implementation of orientations, institutes, workshops, and other programming informed by the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Manage teaching grant programs, learning communities, and other cohort-building experiences centered in the CTL.
- Design and disseminate instructional resources and highlight pedagogical methods appropriate to specific disciplinary settings and a diverse student body.
- Support curricula tailored to targeted faculty populations for learning communities and programs in teaching and learning including online materials such as teaching guides, blogs and other social media posts, and case studies.
- Conduct consultations and classroom observation services for faculty. Support portfolio and other custom presentations of teaching activity. Facilitate grant/fellowship applications related to teaching and learning.
- Provide support in the areas of course design, instructional design and delivery customized to subject area domains of faculty teaching.
- Stay abreast of research, trends, and innovations in teaching and learning as applied to classroom and online learning environments and work with learning designers and communications staff on projects that integrate best pedagogical practices and emerging technologies.
- Cultivate partnerships on campus to identify new needs and opportunities. Identify best practices and resources available beyond Columbia.
- Assist the Associate Director in representing the CTL’s work at briefings, campus visits, conferences, and other academic venues.
- Collaborate on ongoing assessment of programs and services, analyze workshop activity, surveys, captured footage, and other evidence of impact, and draw on such data for iterative improvement of CTL services.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 to 5 years directly related experience or equivalent.
- University teaching experience and well-developed teaching, research, and assessment skills
- Current knowledge of best practices and emerging trends in teaching and learning
- Experience in applying research to curricular innovations and faculty development
- Strong communication skills and service-oriented approach to individuals at all levels and across disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with administrators, academic units, faculty and staff
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and program development skills
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and provide high quality, timely support
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the academic environment
- Advanced degree in STEM discipline.
- Experience with educational platforms and online teaching and learning.
To apply for this position, please submit credentials to Columbia University at: https://jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=162040
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.