The School of Communication at the Rochester Institute of Technology invites applications for an Assistant Professor/Tenure-track position with an emphasis on community-engaged journalism and social change. The successful candidate may teach some of the following courses: Data Journalism, Multiplatform Production and Publishing, Opinion Media and Communication for Social Change. Additionally, they should have the potential for producing virtual reality and augmented reality media. Experience developing and pitching media content is a plus. The ideal candidate will endorse and strengthen alternative forms of journalistic practice that enable students to develop portfolios across multiple media formats. They should focus, both in teaching and scholarship, on journalism outside of a traditional newsroom, in the areas of social movement journalism, alternative presses and community-based media. They should be prepared to teach students to broaden and engage their story telling skills through sharpening students writing, editing and interviewing abilities.
We are seeking an individual who has the ability and interest in contributing to a community committed to student centeredness; professional development and scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity and pluralism; innovation and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration. We are seeking individuals who are committed to RIT’s core values, honor code, and statement of diversity.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ph.D. in communication or a closely related field by August 2023
- Ability to conduct research in communication
- Demonstrated teaching ability as a standalone instructor or a graduate teaching assistant
- Ability to teach courses in one or more of the following areas: Data Journalism, Multiplatform Production and Publishing, Opinion Media and Communication for Social Change
- Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at Job Search Welcome | Rochester Institute of Technology; search openings, then Keyword Search 7387BR. Please submit your application, curriculum vitae, cover letter addressing the listed qualifications and upload the following attachments:
- A brief teaching philosophy
- The names, addresses and phone numbers for three references
- Contribution to Diversity Statement
Please apply by November 30th, 2022. You can contact the search committee chair, Dr. Grant Cos with questions on the position at: email@example.com.