The Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) seeks an Assistant Program Director to join a vibrant, productive team in their mission to improve college-level STEM education. The Assistant Program Director of STEM Education will help manage the implementation and organizational direction of a portfolio of grant-funded STEM Education programs based in the CTL. This portfolio includes the STEM Education Seminar Series, the national Summer Institutes on Scientific Teaching faculty development initiative, as well as the Helmsley Postdoctoral Teaching Scholars Program, a partnership between Yale, University of Bridgeport and Housatonic Community College.
The Assistant Program Director will report to the STEM Education Program Director, and work closely with a team of CTL staff to contribute to program development, evaluation, communication and administration of a nationally recognized STEM education program. The Assistant Director will collaborate with colleagues at local, regional and national levels to promote excellence in STEM education. This is a full-time term position funded by CTL grants through December 31, 2019.
In addition, this position will be responsible for:
• Program Development - Collaborate with the STEM Education Program Director, Evaluation Director and CTL Executive Director to work with Summer Institute site leaders on program curricula, facilitation, schedule and logistics.
• Evaluation - Work with STEM Education Program Director and evaluation staff to evaluate and report outcomes of grant-funded programs to funding agencies and to the wider STEM education community.
• Event Planning – Assist in the planning, coordination and evaluation of program events, including STEM Education Seminars, the Helmsley Postdoctoral Learning community, Helmsley partnership meetings and biannual meetings of Summer Institute leaders.
• Communication - Develop, manage and maintain communication strategies for grant-funded programs, including internal and external newsletters, websites and social media. May also contribute to grant writing and publication projects.
• Financial Administration - Assist in the administration of budgets and subawards for regional and institution-based faculty development programs.
• STEM Education Involvement - Participate in and stay informed of local, regional and national initiatives focused on promoting excellence in STEM education, as well as the educational literature to stay current on developments in the field.
• CTL/Yale Involvement - Collaborate with local academic departments and colleagues in the CTL as opportunities arise.
• Work with Others - May manage exempt/nonexempt employees and students.
• Demonstrated effective teaching skills in a college level STEM discipline.
• Ability to work independently and take initiative by showing leadership in key areas of responsibility.
• Superior communication and organization skills, with excellent attention to detail. Superior collaboration skills, including the ability to work within a team to identify opportunities, present ideas, and provide constructive feedback.
• Proven training skills, including the ability to manage conflict, support fellow team members, facilitate a motivated and positive approach to tasks and problems, take and share responsibility, and generate action items for self and others.
• A deep commitment to exploring the dynamics of college teaching, willingness to reflect on personal teaching practices, eagerness to engage and apply existing literature, and concern for broadening access in higher education.
• Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Direct experience in a center for teaching and learning or similar pedagogically oriented organization. Teaching experience at the college level as instructor of record. Ph.D. in a STEM discipline or STEM education. Experience in program management and/or development.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2eHQJ0J.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.