• PhD in biology, biochemistry or related sciences with some experience in biology teaching or education research; or,
• A master’s degree in biology, biochemistry or related sciences with a PhD in science education, learning sciences or equivalent areas
• Familiarity with quantitative, qualitative analysis of educational research data.
• Evidence of peer-reviewed publications.
• Experience applying pedagogical best practices and evidence-based teaching methods to science teaching.
• Ability to teach, mentor, and support students from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to work collaboratively with people from different disciplines and diverse backgrounds.
About the Job
Summary of Position:
This position is for a postdoctoral research associate interested in conducting research on biology teaching and learning at the undergraduate level at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. The scholar would take the lead on a project examining student-teacher and student-student interactions in undergraduate STEM learning environments (i.e., classroom discourse behaviors). The candidate will analyze previously collected data on this topic, collect new data examining student-student discourse, and will have the opportunity to develop new research questions of interest to them.
Essential and Other Functions:
Read and evaluate educational research papers, design and conduct educational research studies, collect and analyze quantitative/qualitative data, write research papers, present findings, apply for grants.
30% Curriculum and Assessment Development
As needed, design curriculum and assessments and evaluate their effect on student learning and affect. Teach and/or train others to teach the curricular intervention. Evaluate fidelity of implementation of assessment. Administer and/or train others to administer the assessment.
20% Supervision and Teaching
Co-advise and mentor graduate students and undergraduate research assistants as needed. Assist with development of curricular materials and assessments for undergraduate biology courses.
About the Department
This position is in the Warfa Research Group within the Department of Biology Teaching and Learning in the College of Biological Sciences.
How To Apply
To apply, please go to https://humanresources.umn.edu/jobs. Click on the tab in the center of the page that corresponds to your situation. Search job ID # 330919 . To be considered complete, the application must include the online application, a cover letter, one page summary of educational research interests and future goals, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three references. Questions about these positions can be directed to Abdi Warfa (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of the applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.