Requisition Number: 5431BR
School/Department: Manufacturing & Mechanical Engineering Tech
College : College of Engineering Technology
Faculty Rank : Department Chair
Tenure Status: Tenure
Anticipated Start Date: August 2021
View the complete job description online: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=25483&siteid=5291&AReq=5431BR
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Department of Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technology (MMET) at Rochester Institute of Technology invites applications for the position of Department Chair.
The successful candidate will have academic and management preparation with professional experience in one or more of the following or related areas: mechanical, manufacturing, industrial and/or systems, biomechanical, mechatronics, energy, aerospace, aeronautics and/or automotive, or robotics/automation. The selected candidate will bring excellent teaching, research/scholarship, and service experience to this position commensurate with the qualifications for tenure at the academic rank of Professor.
The position begins mid-August, 2021. Application review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
We are seeking an individual who has the ability and interest in contributing to a community committed to student centeredness; professional development and scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity and pluralism; innovation and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration. We are seeking individuals who are committed to RIT’s core values, honor code, and statement of diversity.
The department chair is expected to lead the department faculty and staff with excellent strategic, organizational and communication skills capable of garnering support for a common vision. The chair will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a collaborative, welcoming, engaging, and productive work and learning environment based on continuous improvement and the vision, mission, goals and values of the university, college and the department.
- Strategically lead the academic department in teaching, research/scholarship, service, curriculum innovation, faculty, staff and student recruitment and retention, and development.
- Serve on college and university committees, and engage with professional and technical industry organizations for the benefit of students and the department.
- Provide outstanding academic and scholarly leadership, organizational management, mentorship, guidance, and fiscal prudence for the success of the department, through strong, open, transparent and regular communication.
- Lead and implement innovative curriculum development.
- Develop and lead a clear vision to promote scholarly initiatives, and facilitate internal and external research and scholarly collaborations, for the department, to build upon the recognized strengths of the department and faculty.
- Foster corporate and alumni relations, promote new and increased funding opportunities through research and advancement, and grow and advance the department’s reputation, capacity and overall excellence.
- Promote excellence in teaching, with a commitment to high quality, student-centered teaching, career-oriented programs and advance education programs with a balance between undergraduate and graduate programming.
- Demonstrate strong commitment to our experiential learning model.
- Innovate, manage and advance the curriculum, including development of on-site and alternative delivery, continuous improvement of teaching quality and assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Oversee and/or manage facilities, national and international collaborations, industry partnerships, cooperative education opportunities, and student recruitment.
- Implement CET and RIT policies including strategic plan initiatives including but not limited to enrollment, persistence, on-time graduation, and inclusive excellence goals.
The College of Engineering Technology (CET) is one of RIT’s nine colleges, which enrolls approximately 12% percent of the university’s students. CET prides itself on its constant evolution, innovation, and global outreach via online learning, corporate education, and international programs. CET is known throughout the RIT, national, and international communities as an excellent choice for an education that embraces the integration of “hands-on learning” and application based instruction grounded in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) subjects. (www.rit.edu/cet)
The Department of Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technology (MMET) has an outstanding faculty and staff, world-class facilities, and innovative curricula that provides an unparalleled academic experience. The MMET department has 21 full-time faculty, 6 lecturers, more than 15 adjunct faculty, approximately 720 students and continues to grow. MMET offers three Bachelors of Science and one Master of Science degree programs. Each program specializes in providing an experiential learning environment through integrated laboratory activities, innovative projects, and applied-research. To gain real world experience, in his or her field of study, each student completes a year of co-operative work experience in industry. Our programs are strongly career focused and hence the department enjoys an outstanding record of successfully preparing students for industry. (www.rit.edu/mmet)
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1829, Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. Beyond our main campus in Rochester, New York, RIT has international campuses in China, Croatia, Dubai, and Kosovo. And with more than 19,000 students and more than 125,000 graduates from all 50 states and over 100 nations, RIT is driving progress in industries and communities around the world. Find out more at www.rit.edu.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Earned PhD. in a field of engineering/engineering technology, or related field; or an earned doctorate in STEM education with a master’s degree in engineering/engineering technology, or related field.
- A minimum of approximately ten years of professional experience related to engineering/engineering technology/STEM education teaching and scholarly pursuits.
- A record of sustained scholarly activity through publications and funded research in the candidate’s field of expertise.
Other Significant Expectations:
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to
- Successfully manage a department of 20 or more faculty and support staff.
- Interpret and implement policies and practices
- Engage in department and college-level problem solving
- Manage a multi-faceted operation including a comprehensive budget
- Contribute to the growth of programs towards prominence and operational success
- Excel in teaching with a commitment to undergraduate and graduate education
- Develop and support faculty in their pursuit of a focused and cohesive research agenda related to their disciplines
- Contribute in meaningful ways to the college’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences
HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty. Search: 5431BR. Please submit the following: your online application; cover letter addressing the required qualifications for this position; a curriculum vitae, and upload the following attachments:
- Statement of diversity.
- The names and contact information of three references
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is found.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities. RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to your application for employment at RIT, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to email@example.com.