Job Description: The Hurricane Island Center for Science and Leadership is seeking an
enthusiastic, community-oriented Education Manager to drive the design and delivery of our
year-round programming. Operating from our mainland base in Rockland, Maine from
November - April and from our Hurricane Island campus from May - October, the Education
Manager is responsible for managing a variety of programs serving people of all ages and
backgrounds that help advance Hurricane Island’s mission and values. The Education Manager
will report to the Director of Education and must be outgoing, well-organized, an open
communicator, adaptable, and able to function in a dynamic working environment.
• Demonstrated ability to coach and motivate staff and foster a positive, inclusive
• At least two years of experience in environmental or place-based education
• At least two years of experience supervising adults (18+)
• Ability to accommodate a varied work schedule including some evenings, nights,
weekends, and holidays
• Bachelors or Masters degree in Environmental Education, Education, Environmental
Science, Biology, Ecology, or a related field
• Current Wilderness First Responder certification or higher
• Ability to perform physically challenging work in the outdoors and in all weather
conditions in uneven terrain
Application review will begin on July 15th and continue until a suitable candidate is found.
To apply please submit the following components to email@example.com.
• A cover letter explaining your interest in the position including related background,
philosophy, or anything else that helps us understand why you are the best candidate to
join us as Education Manager
• Resume/CV of your specific experience and qualifications including any certificates you
may hold that relate well to our work on- or off-island
• Letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to your fit for the position.
*Note: prior or current Hurricane Island seasonal employees are encouraged to apply but
must submit a letter from someone outside the organization.
• Two additional contacts that can speak to your fit for the position as needed. Please
provide their email addresses and phone numbers.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the position. We look
forward to hearing from you.