New Mexico State University (NMSU) in Las Cruces seeks an educational specialist for teaching and learning in its teaching center, the Teaching Academy. This is a full-time, 12-month position with a negotiable start date.
The departmental staffing will include: Director, Associate Director for Teaching & Learning, Educational Specialist and Administrative Assistant.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Consults individually with instructors on enhancing classroom teaching (40% of job duties)
Consults with instructors to discuss teaching methods and to review materials for best practice such as lesson plans, assignments, rubrics, or exams
Performs the Academy’s classroom visitation process including:
Previewing syllabus and class materials
Facilitating, tallying, and analyzing mid-term student feedback surveys
Coordinating and performing observations of classroom instruction; and
Conducting a follow-up consultation to review feedback
Facilitates and assists with one time and multi-session workshops on teaching, scholarship, leadership, mentoring, or related topics (30% of job duties)
Develops and presents one new one time or multi-session workshop on teaching each year and repeats them frequently
Identifies and recruits faculty presenters
Works with each presenter before his/her workshop to develop
activities that involve participants
specific, concrete suggestions for participants to enhance their teaching
Writes or revises workshop descriptions
Participates in each workshop
Reviews evaluations to decide which presenters to schedule again
Collaborates with Director and Associate Director for Teaching and Learning (30% of job duties)
- Assists with management of the TEAL classroom including marketing, scheduling, and upkeep
- Assists with field trips for NMSU educators to teaching conferences (e.g. NM HEAR)
- Manages application process including soliciting and evaluating applications
Manages communication and travel logistics
Travels with groups to the conferences and facilitates reflection and debrief
- Elevates the status of teaching and learning on campus
- Stays current on matters involving teaching and learning
- Presents at relevant educational development and teaching conferences
- Assists with writing internal and external communications including mass email marketing, newsletters, fundraising appeals, and Facebook
- Assists with center-level planning and administration such as strategic planning, hiring, annual reports, five-year impact surveys, five-year program reviews, yearly gala, and fundraising campaigns
- Other duties as assigned
Other Departmental Requirements
- Knowledge about current evidence-based teaching practices and trends
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Strong organization skills and the ability to prioritize competing tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to a large audience and one-on-one.
- Ability to plan and implement programs and events including developing and presenting educational programs and/or workshops.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Master’s degree
- Three years of directly related experience
- Experience in classroom teaching
- Experience facilitating and/or planning workshops or events
- Experience advising or mentoring individuals one-on-one
- Experience creating educational opportunities that foster success among diverse populations
To apply, please submit contact information for three references (supervisors preferred) in your application as well as:
- Letter of interest
- Unofficial transcripts
Special Instructions to the Applicant
In your letter of interest, please devote one paragraph to your accomplishments in each of the following areas in this order. For each, please include specific evidence of your effectiveness, such as quantitative or qualitative evaluations or comments and so on.
Experience in classroom teaching
Knowledge about current evidence-based teaching practices and trends
Experience facilitating and/or planning workshops or events
Experience advising or mentoring individuals one-on-one
Experience creating educational opportunities that foster success among diverse populations
If you do not have direct experience with the any of the above, please use that paragraph to explain how other experiences demonstrates your ability to meet the preferred qualification.
Deadline to apply: Friday, 6/14/2019
For a complete job description and to apply for position 197565 visit: http://jobs.nmsu.edu/postings/35030
About NMSU and Las Cruces
New Mexico State University is a comprehensive land-grant institution of higher learning accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Universities. An active research university, NMSU anchors the southern end of New Mexico’s Rio Grande Research Corridor, exceeding $140 million in research and public service expenditures. NMSU is classified as a Hispanic-serving institution by the federal government with a total minority enrollment over 48%. Home to the state’s NASA Space Grant Program, NMSU is located in Las Cruces, which features desert mesas, the farmlands of the Rio Grande Valley, and the Organ Mountains, an extension of the Rocky Mountain chain. The University is committed to building a cultural diverse educational environment.
NMSU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly training faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.