The College of Engineering at the University of Michigan is committed to educational excellence and partners with the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching in Engineering (CRLT-Engin) to achieve this mission. CRLT-Engin is a vibrant, highly collaborative team eager to welcome a new colleague as a faculty developer with an emphasis on Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) development. Applicants with extensive experience will be considered for an Assistant Director title. Candidates from backgrounds historically underrepresented in faculty development are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and implementing programs and activities for the improvement of engineering graduate student instructors. This includes the following:
- Oversee the engineering teaching orientation programs for graduate student instructors (GSIs) and undergraduate instructional aides (IAs)
- Coordinate the Engineering Teaching Consultant program
- Coordinate the CRLT-Engin Seminar Series for GSIs
- Consult with graduate student instructors and faculty
- Conduct midterm student feedback sessions
- Completed Ph.D. in engineering, engineering education or related STEM field
- College teaching experience in engineering or other related STEM field
- Faculty and/or GSI development experience
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and
- Ability to work effectively with graduate student instructors, faculty, and academic administrators
- Experience in program planning and administration
- Experience with assessment or educational research
- Experience promoting the effective use of instructional technology in the classroom
- Familiarity with scholarship on faculty development
- Familiarity with University of Michigan policies and procedures
The Center for Research on Learning and Teaching in Engineering (CRLT-Engin) represents a partnership between the College of Engineering and the main CRLT office. Established in 2004, CRLT-Engin is staffed by experienced engineering educators who work in close collaboration with engineering faculty and administrators. CRLT-Engin promotes excellence in learning and teaching through the facilitation of evidence-based teaching practices that supports all students. We are a highly collaborative staff and we look forward to welcoming new staff to our team. For information about CRLT-Engin, visit http://crlte.engin.umich.edu/.
This position may be filled using an FLSA exempt or non-exempt designation.
Start Date: As soon as possible. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- Visit the University of Michigan Careers Page
- A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your CV. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.