Postdoctoral Research Associate: Data Science Initiative and Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning, Brown University
The Data Science Postdoctoral Research Associate will engage in building new curricular and faculty development programs for Brown University’s Data Science Initiative and the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning’s Learning Collaborative data science area, with a portfolio involving three core areas. First, the Research Associate will develop, teach, and assess two new undergraduate courses, one on data fluency, and the second focused on the theory and teaching of data science, aimed at undergraduate Data Science Fellows, who work in partnership with faculty to support student learning of this core competency. Second, this position will also support faculty and TA development around evidence-based, inclusive practices for teaching data science across the curriculum. Third, the Research Associate will also be engaged with some student advising (e.g., of capstone projects). This postdoctoral position offers a unique opportunity to develop and teach new courses, contribute to faculty development initiatives in the Brown Learning Collaborative, and engage in disciplinary-based educational research (DBER) around data science. This is a two-year term position with possibility of renewal. Review of applications will begin on May 6, 2019. Start date for the position is August 1, 2019.
· Earned doctorate degree required. PhD area is open but candidate must have strong methodological training and experience in data science and/or learning analytics
· At least one year of experience in facilitating faculty, graduate student, postdoctoral scholar, or undergraduate teaching development
· Postsecondary teaching experience, supported by evidence of effectiveness
· Teaching, research, or educational development experience on working effectively with a diverse student and faculty population, in alignment with the University’s and Center’s strategic plans and diversity and inclusion objectives
· Experience with assessment, evaluation, or the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in a university or professional setting
· Experience working in or collaborating with a Writing Center, English language support, and/or a student success center
Please submit a cover letter and C.V. to:
https://apply.interfolio.com/62065. Finalists will be required to submit a research statement, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and references.
For more details, find full description here.