Professional Development Specialist (Academic Professional)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States Full-time
Georgia Tech’s Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education & Faculty Development (VPGEFD) invites applications and nominations for an academic professional with the tentative working title of Professional Development Specialist. The candidate selected will participate in planning, developing, facilitating, and assessing professional development programs designed to help faculty develop their skills in areas that include leadership, mentoring, communications, networking, and project management, among others. The specialist will also be involved in adapting and delivering professional development programs for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Assist in leading the strategic planning, development, and implementation of professional development and onboarding programs for academic and research faculty (including postdocs);
- Develop and facilitate in-person and virtual programs, resources, and/or learning communities designed to help faculty, postdocs, and graduate students enhance their skills in professional areas;
- Assess effectiveness of programs through development and application of learning measures and metrics;
- Serve as knowledge resource and point of contact for program participants;
- Collaborate with VPGEFD professional development, Faculty Affairs, Graduate Studies, the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL), academic programs across campus, and Human Resources to adapt existing professional development programing to the needs of faculty, graduate students, and postdocs;
- Collaborate with administrators and staff to plan logistics and market events and programs, as necessary; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Application Process
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative and creative individual who has a minimum of two years of experience in higher education working with academic and research faculty, postdocs, and/or graduate students. We are looking for an energetic and responsive team player with a proven ability to partner across institutional units and make inclusive and ethical practices a priority.
The successful candidate will have significant experience with developing and delivering professional development materials/resources for academic and research faculty, postdocs, and/or graduate students; strong verbal and written communication skills; the ability to collaborative effectively; the organizational and event coordination skills to plan and execute programs; the ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with all stakeholders; and an understanding of a research university environment.
A terminal degree of Ph.D., Ed.D., or equivalent is required for this non-tenure-track academic faculty position within the job category of Academic Professional (exact rank will depend on the education, experience, and specialization of the selected candidate).
The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) is one of the nation’s leading research universities, providing a focused, technologically based education to more than 36,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Georgia Tech has many nationally recognized programs, all top-ranked by peers and publications alike, and is ranked in the nation’s top ten public universities by U.S. News and World Report . It offers degrees through the Colleges of Design, Computing, Engineering, and Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts. As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has almost 4,000 academic and research faculty, over 350 postdocs, over 20,000 graduate students, and 100 graduate degree programs and interdisciplinary research centers that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to America’s government, industry and business.
Initial screening of applicants will begin December 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. To submit an application please include a cover letter that addresses your qualifications for this position, a resume/CV, and the names, titles and contact information (email, phone) for five professional references in a single MS Word or PDF file. The selection process will include passing a pre-employment background check and submission of official transcripts. The exact start date is negotiable.
The Georgia Institute of Technology is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions;