Application instructions: Please upload a writing sample showing science, education/outreach, journalism, or related content to your application.
Battelle manages and operates the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) program, which is solely funded by the National Science Foundation. A 30+ year project dedicated to understanding how changes in climate, land use and invasive species impact ecology. The observatory’s scientists and engineers are collecting a comprehensive range of ecological data on a continental scale across 20 eco-climatic domains representing US ecosystems. Our teams use cutting-edge technology, including an airborne observation platform that captures images of regional landscapes and vegetation; mobile, relocatable, and fixed data collection sites with automated ground sensors to monitor soil and atmosphere; and trained field crews who observe and sample populations of diverse organisms, collect soil and water data, and maintain ground-based sensor systems. All NEON program data are publicly available on our data portal. The Observatory includes more than 500+ personnel and is the first of its kind designed to detect and enable forecasting of ecological change at continental scales.
We are currently seeking a Science Outreach Specialist . This position is located in Boulder, CO .
The Science Outreach Specialist will be part of the NEON Education and Engagement Team and will support scientific engagement and outreach activities for the NEON program. Specifically, the science outreach specialist will coordinate communications and outreach planning and events between NEON headquarters and NEON field science staff across the country. This position will also perform a variety of administrative tasks and planning activities in support of the NEON science (neonscience.org) website and social media channels. Applicants should be comfortable building relationships with a distributed network of people across the country; a skilled writer; have an interest in science and in engaging scientists; and demonstrated success at time management and adhering to and developing efficient processes.
- Engage with field science managers across the country to identify outreach activities being planned by field science staff and identify new activities that should be pursued. This work requires remote engagement via phone, email, skype, etc.
- Research additional local and regional outreach opportunities (e.g. regional scientific meetings related to NEON).
- Help research and generate content for outreach materials (e.g. Powerpoints, handouts, posters) for field science staff to use.
- Staffing coordination for exhibit booths at key conferences
- Periodically collect and post upcoming events and publications
- Periodically copyedit and post blog articles
- Create social media content for social media networks (including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn)
- Periodic data scrubbing of the NEON Newsletter subscriber list
- Other communication-related activities depending skills, interest, and need
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- High school diploma and 2-4 years’ experience; or equivalent education and years of experience in a related field (e.g. Science, English, Communications)
- Scientific writing or technical writing skills
- Proven ability to read, analyze and distill information into web-friendly content
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (especially Excel and Powerpoint; e.g. ability to make Powerpoint templates)
- Experience in/or willingness to learn a variety of communication tools such as Drupal, Constant Contact, and Buffer. Please note, this job does not require any serious programming skills.
- Excellent time management, organization, and file naming skills, and attention to detail
- Can work independently and in a team
Must have permanent authorization for US employment.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS ARE DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Biology, English, Communications, or related field
- College/university coursework or training in ecology, natural sciences, environmental science
- Experience working with a dispersed team/network
- Experience with outreach at a scientific or environmental education organization
- Experience with content management systems (e.g., Drupal) or willingness to learn
- Social media and search engine optimization (SEO) experience
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite
- Passionate about learning new things, great problem solving skills