The Hixon Writing Center at the California Institute of Technology seeks a STEM Writing Specialist and Lecturer to support the learning of writing and communication in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). We seek applicants with academic backgrounds in STEM fields who have advanced knowledge of academic and professional writing and communication in these fields.
This position is pedagogical in focus and has two components. First, the STEM Writing Specialist and Lecturer will work in the Hixon Writing Center under the supervision of the center’s director. This work will involve one-to-one tutoring of students, designing and leading workshops on STEM writing, and collaborating with other faculty to support their teaching. Second, this staff member will teach undergraduate technical writing courses determined by campus needs. During the summer, additional assigned duties may include leading support of writers during Caltech’s summer research programs, teaching a graduate course in STEM writing, or developing new resources for the Hixon Writing Center.
This position is anticipated to start September 1, 2022. Review of applications will begin June 30th, and the position will remain open until filled.
Essential Job Duties
- Teaching technical writing courses for undergraduates
- Tutor undergraduate, graduate student, and post-doctoral writers working in STEM fields one-to-one and in small groups
- Develop and lead presentations/workshops for students on topics related to academic writing in STEM fields
- Develop resources related to academic STEM writing in response to student need
- Collaborate with colleagues to create an inclusive and accessible writing center
- Support faculty efforts to improve the teaching and learning of academic writing in STEM courses
- Work with peer tutors to support their professional development
- Assist in administrative tasks related to program records and assessment, as well as other related duties as assigned
- M.A. in a STEM field with demonstrated expertise in STEM writing and communication
- Two years of experience writing, reading, and responding to academic writing in STEM disciplines and genres
- Experience working one-to-one with college-level writers on academic communication as a T.A., tutor, mentor, or instructor
- Experience working with multilingual writers
- Demonstrated commitment to working with a diverse population in a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks with limited supervision
- Ph.D. or significant work toward the degree in a STEM field with demonstrated expertise in STEM writing and communication
- Experience teaching college students about academic communication in a classroom or large group environment
- Familiarity with scholarship and evidence-based practices on topics relevant to the position (e.g., STEM discourses; writing in the disciplines)
- Experience with faculty development
- Familiarity with best practices in writing center pedagogy
- Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter that provides an explanation for your interest in the position and an overview of your relevant experience
- A teaching statement that details your approach to working with students in STEM, including a focus on your work creating inclusive learning environments
- A writing sample that represents your own work as a writer. (Please provide a text previously written or published, not composed for this occasion)
- Names and contact information for three references (finalists’ references will be called, rather than receiving requests to provide letters)
COVID-19 Vaccine Required for All Employees
Caltech has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy effective October 15, 2021, requiring COVID-19 vaccinations for all employees (with Institute-approved exemptions for religious or medical contraindications only). At present, an individual is deemed “fully vaccinated” when that person has received, at least 14 days prior, either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson). Upon eligibility, employees are required to receive the COVID-19 booster as part of the vaccine mandate. As a condition of employment, employees must submit official COVID-19 vaccine documentation. More information may be found here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech Recruiting at email@example.com.
View this job ad in the Caltech HR website here.