The Department of Master of Science in Secondary Education at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf invites applications for one faculty position at the rank of Visiting Assistant Professor. This position reports directly to the Department Chair of the MSSE program. The purpose of this position is to teach courses in the pedagogy strand and other courses, supervise student teachers in these content areas and prepare students to become teachers of deaf and hard-of-hearing students. Additionally, this position will engage in different research areas surrounding deaf education, with other examples in social justice, educational reform, curriculum studies, literacy, cognition, and history/legal aspects of special education. The position is a 9-month, non-tenure track appointment for 2 academic years. Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
The Visiting Assistant Professor will:
- Participate in the NTID Faculty Fellowship (NFF) program.
- Teach courses in Deaf education, pedagogy, assessment, and other relevant fields.
- Develop curriculum and resources for possible new programs in the MSSE department
- Conduct research and scholarly activities.
- Attend professional development activities.
- Participate in communication development activities.
- Participate in antiracism, diversity, and inclusion development activities.
- Participate fully in the department’s curricular initiatives and related faculty duties.
- Serve the department, institute, and the community as needed.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- ABD; PhD or EdD in Deaf Education or a relevant field
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) and familiarity with Deaf culture. Candidates who are not fluent in ASL must commence learning immediately (by enrolling in ASL courses) and be able to demonstrate proficiency within the period specified in the letter of hire.
- Evidence of experience working in post-secondary classrooms, including serving as an instructor of record or as a teaching assistant.
- Evidence of research and scholarly activities.
- Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.
- Experience in K-12 administration.