The Yale Ciencia Academy (YCA) for Professional Development is an NIH-funded (1R25GM114000) initiative that may be of interest to PhD students, particularly those from underrepresented backgrounds. The deadline to apply to the program has been extended to Friday, November 17. Please share this email among graduate students and faculty mentors that you know, and others who might benefit from it.
YCA complements graduate training by connecting PhD, MD/PhD, or PsyD students conducting biological, biomedical or behavioral sciences research with a network of diverse mentors, professional contacts, and role models who can help expand their opportunities for mentoring, peer support, networking, outreach, and professional growth and advancement. Students from other fields are encouraged to apply, provided their work could be of interest to NIH. The YCA program leverages CienciaPR, a large and diverse Latino/Hispanic scientific network.
Key features of the program include:
- Virtual chats with diverse role models and mentors who will discuss topics such as careers within and outside of academia, getting funded, securing a postdoc, getting published, time and project management, and work-life balance.
- Supportive discussions with peers, moderated by experts, on inter-personal issues (mentoring challenges, impostor syndrome, the importance of community, etc.).
- Online and in-person workshops for the development of non-research skills such as: effective scientific and professional communication, professional goal setting and networking, mentoring, and scientific teaching.
- An annual in-person YCA meeting (with travel, hotel, and registration fees paid) to take place during the AAAS Annual Meeting in February in Austin, TX, to extend opportunities for networking and professional development.
- The opportunity for participants to impact their communities and exercise leadership and communication skills through science outreach activities like the publication of popular science articles, podcasts, or visits to local schools.
- Additional advice on their IDPs.
For additional information, please see our recent blog post about what to expect from the 2018 program. You can also watch our recent Facebook Live to hear about the program from current and former fellows as well as program staff.
The program runs from January to December 2018 and the deadline to apply has recently been extended to Friday, November 17. Application requirements, selection criteria, FAQs, and the application form can be accessed via this link: http://www.cienciapr.org/yca. Questions can be directed to the YCA team at email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for your help publicizing this valuable and exciting program!